The time now is 21 Oct 2018 1:32 pm
At the beginning of the year, what

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AgTimes Boards Forum Index -> Aggie Basketball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruffstuff's bro
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2018 8:17 pm 
Post subject: At the beginning of the year, what
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Were the expectations for this year? Sweet sixteen?
AGINAZ MR Member
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2018 8:19 pm 

No. Fire the coach!
Agdad78 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2018 9:09 pm 

Good one, AGINAZ... Laughing
Aggie_Fanatic
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2018 9:31 pm 
Post subject: Re: At the beginning of the year, what

ruffstuff's bro wrote:
mine was sweet 16 at worst. Also expected to compete for the conference championship. Got half.

But the biggest concern is recruiting right now. Williams is gone. It is possible Davis and Hogg will be as well. A lot of pieces to replace and we are not seeing the replacements.

What does this mean for Kennedy and Aggie basketball? Who knows. I have stated I believe kennedy's illness is limiting him. I still think so. But as long as he is coach I will support him and the team. I will hope for the best.
ruffstuff's bro
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2018 9:44 pm 

Aggie_Fanatic wrote:
ruffstuff's bro wrote:
mine was sweet 16 at worst. Also expected to compete for the conference championship. Got half.

But the biggest concern is recruiting right now. Williams is gone. It is possible Davis and Hogg will be as well. A lot of pieces to replace and we are not seeing the replacements.

What does this mean for Kennedy and Aggie basketball? Who knows. I have stated I believe kennedy's illness is limiting him. I still think so. But as long as he is coach I will support him and the team. I will hope for the best.

Since we have never, ever advanced beyond the sweet 16, that may have been too much.. Very Happy
TrueAggie
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2018 2:32 pm 

ruffstuff's bro wrote:

Elite 8 minimum. Too much talent and depth. We started the season a potential final 4 team and down we went.
AG 2000 MR Member
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2018 2:38 pm 

Final Four, given our talent.

But Kennedy took a FF team to the S16, so he's awesome. Give him a lifetime contract and double his pay. Brick wall
Amador
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2018 2:59 pm 

I had no expectations, but I'm really just a part time fan when it comes to basketball.

I was happy to see us compete in the Sweet 16 ... I remember people saying we wouldn't make it to the tournament late in the season.

Not too pleased with how we lost. I would have preferred a competitive game and not the blowout we watched. Looked to me we had the ability to compete and should have beat Michigan ... but .. you know ... we didn't.

Parents ... the worst thing to happen to youth sports.

Empty vessels make the most noise.
BellCtyag85
All Conference

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2018 3:00 pm 

Coming into the season with Robert Williams returning, solidifying a point guard seemed to be the only glaring weakness personnel wise. Several possibilities emerged from JJ Caldwell, Duane Wilson, etc. No one "claimed" the role until Duane Wilson did so many games into the season. Was coaching a reason it took so long? The suspensions took a toll on several games. Could coaching have prevented that?

I think we had the talent to make sweet sixteen or elite 8 AND win the SEC, being an average year. But after the North Carolina game, my sights were higher than elite 8.
jdowney
Starter

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2018 3:03 pm 

With all the distractions from injuries and knucklehead behavior, I thought he did a great job. 2 out of last 3 years in sweet 16. Get rid of him now!
Aggie_Fanatic
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2018 3:17 pm 

AG 2000 wrote:
Final Four, given our talent.

But Kennedy took a FF team to the S16, so he's awesome. Give him a lifetime contract and double his pay. Brick wall
this is the kind of hyperbole that ruins good discussions by shutting down conversation as is done all too often in political settings.

Don't misunderstand me however. I am in agreement we have final four talent. And given how the bracket has now played out with fsu and kstate winning, we had an easier path to the finals than we could have hoped for. Now we did have injuries that hurt us, especially the one to Wilson. That said, the defensive plan we used, and did not change, during the game was mind boggling. And our team was not prepared to play Michigan at all. Give Michigan credit, they were hitting threes that were contested as well as open ones. The problem was that we came out with an ill advised defensive game plan from the get go and never adjusted. I just don't understand the thinking behind all of this.

The refusal to use a timeout at the beginning after they hit their second three was a huge mistake in my opinion. As stated, it allowed Michigan to get into a rhythm. And we could have used the time out to adjust our defense. But we did nothing as we left our boys on the floor to be slaughtered. I don't understand the thinking there.

On offense we went away from Davis until the second half where we only lost the second half by 2 points. But by then it was too late. If we could have kept it closer we might have had a shot in the second half.

I will stress again, I believe Kennedy's illness is a large problem and effects him more than is let on. Just my opinion.

And to be clear, while am taking Kennedy to task for the decisions in the Michigan game, I give him credit for how we played in the providence and unc games. It goes both ways. If we are going to evicorate the guy for games like Michigan, then we should not be disingenuous and not give him credit where it is due for games like unc. spouting nonsense saying the players won in spite of Kennedy makes us sound immature and lacking in the ability to control our emotions.
BellCtyag85
All Conference

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2018 3:43 pm 

"And to be clear, while am taking Kennedy to task for the decisions in the Michigan game, I give him credit for how we played in the providence and unc games. It goes both ways. If we are going to evicorate the guy for games like Michigan, then we should not be disingenuous and not give him credit where it is due for games like unc. spouting nonsense saying the players won in spite of Kennedy makes us sound immature and lacking in the ability to control our emotions."

Gig 'em Gig 'em
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AgTimes Boards Forum Index -> Aggie Basketball All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: