The time now is 15 Dec 2018 6:11 pm
New list of teams implicated in fbi investigation released

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AgTimes Boards Forum Index -> Aggie Basketball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aggie_Fanatic
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2018 9:28 am 
Post subject: New list of teams implicated in fbi investigation released
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/exclusive-federal-doc...38484.html

South Carolina, Bama, and uk on it. So is Kansas.

And guess who else? Sip. But if history is any indicator, nothing will be done.

Thankfully, we are not on the list.
Mighty Kyle
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2018 9:49 am 

Yep the odds of the sips seeing any kind of push back is nil.
AG 2000 MR Member
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2018 12:56 pm 

This is just who had documented loans on paper.

There's a whole other side to this with respect to the recordings they have from wire taps.

The NCAA is going to be in a hard spot on this one. My guess is they wait to see what the FBI does. If the FBI can prove someone at the school (coach, admin) knew, they'll have to dole out some punishments.

But right now this is isolated to sports agents and individual players.
AGINAZ MR Member
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2018 1:58 pm 

What is documented is freaking damning though!

Shame on you
CardinalandMaroon
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2018 6:03 pm 
Post subject: Re: New list of teams implicated in fbi investigation releas

AGINAZ wrote:
What is documented is freaking damning though!

Shame on you

'SC already lost a commit and a player. Now 2 more and probably the season. And it sounds like the players didn't actually get anything, just people around them. Really sucks when a family friend screws up your college education.

If the NCAA is serious about this, they need to hit Addidas with a death sentence for sponsoring college sports - give it to Nike, UA and Rebok (until we find out they are guilty too Shocked )
Aggie_Fanatic
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2018 7:40 pm 

Let hello kitty sponsor.
Agdad78 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2018 9:44 pm 

Heck the NCAA just needs to make a rule that playing on non-high school teams that have paid coaches will not be eligible for signing with a NCAA member college.

If they want to get picky, go ahead and say AAU or similar type teams...

And if you do play for a team with an unpaid coach, all travel expenses including uniforms, travel, meals, room and board, must be paid by the family.

Nip it in the bud...
TrueAggie
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2018 7:44 am 

It was well known that Andy Miller was a dirty guy and constantly tried to gets kids as agents before they could even walk. Many many coaches had told him to never come around their program, but that still doesn't prevent him from approaching their kids before they sign anything with a school. This will be interesting because trying to prove the schools were involved in some way may be next to impossible. Some of the schools may also have known but did nothing while others assumed someone was getting paid but had no proof since it was done through Andy. Very interesting to say the least.
JAB MR Member
Site Admin

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2018 9:07 am 

Agdad78 wrote:
Heck the NCAA just needs to make a rule that playing on non-high school teams that have paid coaches will not be eligible for signing with a NCAA member college.

If they want to get picky, go ahead and say AAU or similar type teams...

And if you do play for a team with an unpaid coach, all travel expenses including uniforms, travel, meals, room and board, must be paid by the family.

Nip it in the bud...

AgDad,

I'm no expert on youth basketball, but in the soccer world what you are suggesting is a non-starter.

Club or travel teams (whatever you want to call them), at least in soccer and I would assume basketball too are generally much better, especially at the upper levels, than any high school team will ever be.

Same with the coaches, generally the club/travel coach is much better, has better licensing than the high school coach. I suspect though that in basketball the difference is much smaller.

If you don't allow the club coach to get paid, then they will find other ways to make bank as their skills and talents are unique and they deserve some compensation.

As far as paying travel expenses. I am regularly told what I need to pay to keep my kid's eligibility intact. I am also very aware that some kids get alot more than what they should. I've even seen a parent or two brag on social media that they have never paid for anything including uniforms, travel and fees.

All that aside, my kid is better because of club/travel and that in turn makes the high school team better.

And unfortunately, youth sports is a billion dollar industry that is not going away.
Agdad78 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2018 9:17 am 

JAB, I have grandkids in both baseball and soccer Select or Club teams. And their parents fork over a lot of money to support those endeavors.

From what I see (I go to so many of their events), these trips are generally within a very localized regional area save an ID camp once a year or so.

You don't hear about soccer or baseball much. But AAU basketball is always in the news and the money involved is ripe for problems.

Your point is well-taken. However, for college basketball and the NCAA, they best figure out how to stop illegalities that exist...or change the rules with help from the Feds now...

To me, the expectations of kid athletes going the college route have to change in every sport. The college ideas on sport do not need to change, even with big money. You don't pay the kids with cash. They get paid with the opportunities afforded them.

If the professional leagues want to sponsor developmental leagues for kids to attend, so be it. Just my opinion.
CardinalandMaroon
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2018 12:22 pm 

JAB, I wish basketball was like soccer. I think soccer borrows from Europe and clubs are more professional with certifications for coaches.

There is no requirement for licensing/certification/experience for AAU coaches. They run the gamut with player dads (e.g., LaVar Ball), HS Coaches, wannabe power brokers/former players of questionable reput, and so on. Often, they come to prominence with a player and build on their success with that player. Alot of times, they are mainly organizing around tournaments with not alot of instruction.

It is instructive that the only sports where there is a big problem are the ones without a professional option for after HS. There aren't really any problems with college baseball, soccer, golf, tennis, hockey, etc. even though there is significant professional money.

I have seen some comments about the cost to run college sports like football and basketball as an argument against changing football and basketball in ways that might hurt revenue. However, much of that cost is for coaches and staff salaries. Those will come down as sports revenues come down. Sort of the goldfish principal.
JAB MR Member
Site Admin

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2018 1:43 pm 

Two trips to PHX this year, one to Seattle along with trips to Dallas, Houston doesn't feel like regional travel to me. Smile Plus the various ID camps. It gets crazy.

Between my two daughters we have been to Seattle x2, Las Vegasx2, Phoenix x3, New Jersey, Orlando x2, Little Rock, Shreveport, Baton Rouge, +All major Texas cities. They can sure drain a frequent flier account Smile

I've heard rumors of agents getting involved with the boys side of soccer.

I think you have extremes in all sports. I recently had a chance to review the new US Soccer coaching clinics. I wish I would have seen them when my kids were Ulittle. Coaches that don't want to learn about how to coach or how to get better are doing themselves and the kids a disservice.

Youth sports is now big money. Big money will cause problems.

I just saw this yesterday (http://footballscoop.com/news/randy-edsall-foreshadowing-issues-college-football/) and I suspect that College Basketball is not the only trouble that the NCAA has.

Oh and has anyone been following AZ basketball?
tkm82ag
Starter

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2018 2:53 pm 

As long as Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky, and tu are involved, I don't see the NCAA doing squat. They have already run scared from NC, and I suspect that they will again. Brick wall
iba
All Conference

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2018 3:02 pm 

tkm82ag wrote:
As long as Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky, and tu are involved, I don't see the NCAA doing squat. They have already run scared from NC, and I suspect that they will again. Brick wall

To the best of my knowledge, this investigation doesn't have anything to do with the NCAA. This is an FBI investigation.
tkm82ag
Starter

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2018 4:15 pm 

iba wrote:
tkm82ag wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, this investigation doesn't have anything to do with the NCAA. This is an FBI investigation.

I always thought that one of the NCAA's jobs was to enforce recruiting rules, such as paying players to come to your school. The NCAA would rather throw that out than fight the schools named.
JAB MR Member
Site Admin

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2018 4:32 pm 

It's sort of hard to ignore 100K payments to players.

I would also think that the NCAA cannot pick and choose which schools to go after. They may have varying levels of penalties dependent on some set of criteria. You know if say your university is located at 30.2849° N, 97.7341° W then there will be a $1.00 fine that is suspended if your hex color code is equal to #bf5700. But I don't think you can pick and choose who gets punished.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AgTimes Boards Forum Index -> Aggie Basketball All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: