NCAA New Transfer Proposal Gaining Momentum
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agdad78 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2018 8:21 pm 
Post subject: NCAA New Transfer Proposal Gaining Momentum
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

We saw how the Early Signing Day was so well thought out, if they want this to go into effect next year, baylol and iowa state subordinates worked it out, and it will be up to ncaa enforcment folks to properly implement...

...well, well, well. Probably be perfect from the get-go...

Link to Article

Quote:
Athletes would be allowed to transfer schools without restriction if their coach were fired or left for another job as part of sweeping proposal that is making its way through Division I, CBS Sports has learned. However, athletes would not be permitted to follow the departing coach to their new program.

The proposal, which originated from the Big 12, would also allow athletes to transfer without sitting out a season (as currently mandated by NCAA rules) in the event a postseason ban is handed down by the NCAA as punishment to their program.

The traditional academic "year in residence" for transfers in all other situations would still be in place and extended to every sport. Presently, that is only a requirement in five NCAA sports.

The proposal authored by the faculty athletic representatives at Baylor and Iowa State has received early support. Skeptics note it is merely a proposal, not the proposal. Still, the document shared with CBS Sports seems to be the most detailed offering to date as a means of fixing the NCAA's long-criticized transfer policies.

"Basically, we're saying kids can go anywhere they want," Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard said. "For the first time ever in college athletics, the student-athlete is empowered."

Changing the NCAA's entrenched transfer rules has become one of the most significant undertakings in the association's history.

Coaches have long been able to "block" where a transfer goes. Athletes also have to seek release from their scholarships to immediately get aid at another school. Frequently, they have to get "permission" from the school/coach to move on to their desired school.

Those practices would end if the aforementioned proposal is adopted.

"I haven't heard one person against [doing away with] the notification," Ohio State AD Gene Smith said.

The NCAA board of directors has basically mandated Division I to change its transfer rules in the next year.

An ongoing Division I Transfer Working Group is expected to push forward one or two proposals for legislation by June. The question then would be the effective date -- in time for either the 2018 or 2019 football seasons.

A source close to that situation stressed the preliminary nature of any proposals at the moment. The Big 12 proposal was finalized last month when conference officials met at the NCAA Convention in Indianapolis.

"Either try to accept [the process or] try to change it," Pollard said. "But quit *****ing about it."

The Big 12 is in the process of distributing and talking up the proposal with other conferences. You can see the proposal here.

"I think it's a phenomenal idea," Pollard said. "There's holes in it. There will always be, but it's the best thing I've seen out there so far. It's a lot better than where we are heading."

Recent real-world examples show how sweeping such a rule change could be.

For example, players could have transferred from Florida State without restriction when Jimbo Fisher departed for Texas A&M in early December 2017 or when Rich Rodriguez was fired at Arizona on Jan. 2.

FDT67AG MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2018 11:24 pm 

Looks like more employment opportunities for unemployed football coaches and administrators...

With roughly 10 coaching changes at the end of the year--all at about the same time as the new ESD--that would make roughly 1000 college football players that are already identified as D1 college level prospects available to be considered for positions AT THE SAME TIME AS TRYING TO SECURE THE EARLY SIGNEES...

That could call for a entirely separate division (of "coaches") to evaluate and recruit the transfer eligible guys at the same time as the regular staff is trying to evaluate and sign the high school and juco guys...

Then of course the folks to merge the two lists...

And the guys to notify the "trap-doored" players to make room for the transfers and new signing prospects since there would no longer be room for both in the 85 limit. Big Grin

Yep...looks like it should be approved and implemented without a hitch... Whistle
Goodson MR Member
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2018 11:48 pm 

This would be a colossal mistake, IMO.
Aggie_Fanatic
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2018 11:53 pm 
Post subject: Re: NCAA New Transfer Proposal Gaining Momentum

Goodson wrote:
This would be a colossal mistake, IMO.
this. You want to see teams go into death penalty waters? Let this happen.
CardinalandMaroon
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2018 2:20 pm 

It supports bad coaches - "fire me and lose your team".
JAB MR Member
Site Admin

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2018 2:27 pm 

CardinalandMaroon wrote:

Don't hire bad coaches.

Seems this allows the coach more time if they have a bad year or so.

Ole Miss just went through this. Not sure how many they lost, but it wasn't a whole football team.
CardinalandMaroon
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2018 3:58 pm 

JAB wrote:
CardinalandMaroon wrote:

Don't hire bad coaches.

Seems this allows the coach more time if they have a bad year or so.

Ole Miss just went through this. Not sure how many they lost, but it wasn't a whole football team.

Only players whose remaining eligibility was covered by bowl bans were allowed to freely transfer. Any that had more than 2 years of eligibility left, had to sit out if they transferred.

That being said, if they are going change transfer rules, they should allow free transfer with no sitting out for all.
BlitzGd
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2018 4:03 pm 

This is a bad idea on so many levels. The most obvious to anyone with a brain is a coach moving "up" the ranks of the college hierarchy and stripping the best talent that is currently at that school.

For lateral moves it would create more of a decision process for the players to follow the coach.

The next part is scope, so is it just the head coach, or is it if ANY coach leaves the program, say the coach who recruited the player, does the player get to leave with him as well? Discrimination lawsuits if it isn't any coach, and just the head coach.

And then imagine the "Tactics" that could be used for a team to maintain conference dominance, "pay" one school to take a HC from a program within your conference, so you can swoop in and get some of their top tier talent. Or heck, simply pay the coach to leave/retire, etc...
FDT67AG MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2018 4:38 pm 

BlitzGd wrote:

For lateral moves it would create more of a decision process for the players to follow the coach.

BG...

THIS IS THE FIRST PARAGRAPH IN THE ARTICLE LINKED ABOVE...

Quote:
Athletes would be allowed to transfer schools without restriction if their coach were fired or left for another job as part of sweeping proposal that is making its way through Division I, CBS Sports has learned. However, athletes would not be permitted to follow the departing coach to their new program.

HOWEVER IT IS STILL A BAD IDEA THE NCAA IS IN A HURRY TO IMPLEMENT
BlitzGd
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2018 4:58 pm 

So without restriction means nothing?
Agdad78 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2018 7:02 pm 

There are also discussions on boards about this making it tougher to fire a coach. Run the risk of having your team gutted?

I don't know if I go along with that. Fire him this year, next year or the next any different? Ride him out until contract complete? You'll get hammered on recruiting those last three years by other teams anyway. When you admit a mistake, if you can afford it monetarily, you still need to cut bait...

If implemented, no transfer til summer. Athlete must compete in spring ball unless rehabbing surgery. Give the new staff a chance to recruit.
MechAg94 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018 9:08 am 

That is an idea. Make them finish out the year or at least until after the Feb signing day. However, you are right that if you have a bad coach, why are you worried about losing his recruits? If you want to be better, you have to make the change anyway.

Should there be rules in place about contacting players or family of players on other teams? Not sure what is there now.

I am less concerned about kids leaving when a coach leaves as kids who are not the starter deciding to jump schools on the promise of being a starter. It would make it harder to maintain quality backups or convince quality underclassmen to wait their turn and put in the work to start.
78Bystander
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018 12:37 pm 

I thought you committed to a SCHOOL not to a COACH!
AGINAZ MR Member
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018 12:52 pm 

78Bystander wrote:
I thought you committed to a SCHOOL not to a COACH!

While this is true, it's no longer that simple. The reality is regime changes can really impact a player's "role" on a team. Everyone has heard plenty of stories of coaches coming in and preferring "their guys". Also scheme changes, etc. AND like anything else, it's a RELATIONSHIP business.

I don't fault any kid for looking out for their best interest, whatever that may be. That doesn't mean they always make the "best" decision but that is their goal.
HomerSimpson98
All Conference

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018 1:09 pm 

I like the idea in general, but of course it could be butchered in the details. Like someone mentioned earlier, it could also help the curb the ridiculousness the coaching carousel has become.

If some bottom feeder like Bobby Petrino became the coach of the team I was a member of, I'd want out asap. And I shouldnt be penalized for it.
Cotton79 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018 2:41 pm 

BlitzGd wrote:
This is a bad idea on so many levels. The most obvious to anyone with a brain is a coach moving "up" the ranks of the college hierarchy and stripping the best talent that is currently at that school.

The next part is scope, so is it just the head coach, or is it if ANY coach leaves the program, say the coach who recruited the player, does the player get to leave with him as well? Discrimination lawsuits if it isn't any coach, and just the head coach.

And then imagine the "Tactics" that could be used for a team to maintain conference dominance, "pay" one school to take a HC from a program within your conference, so you can swoop in and get some of their top tier talent. Or heck, simply pay the coach to leave/retire, etc...

Lots of good thoughts here, but I'm favoring Blitz's words here. Sure, there are the intended consequences for making a change like this, but there are always the unintended consequences, too. I'm just not smart enough to see how they will all pan-out. Trouble is, neither is the NCAA. Rolling Eyes Anxious
JAB MR Member
Site Admin

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018 4:05 pm 

I am not being a contrarian because it is fun. I absolutely believe that this is great for everyone.

1) How many kids would actually leave? I don't think Christian Kirk would have left to follow Sumlin to Arizona if this would have happened last year.
2) Within 85/25 how many transfer kids will a school be able to take each year?
3) If we are close to the top of the football pyramid what schools would our kids want to goto to be better?
4) What exactly do you have to fear with locking up Jimbo for the next 10 years? Are you really worried about some 6th grader today?

Net net I think this is good for college football and I think it is really good for Texas A&M football.
FDT67AG MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018 4:45 pm 

JAB...

TO REPEAT ONCE AGAIN FROM ABOVE...

Quote:
However, athletes would not be permitted to follow the departing coach to their new program.
Agdad78 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018 4:45 pm 

How many would transfer out off 95% of the teams?

4-6?

The problem, however, is that the SEC won't allow you to sign more than 25 in a year, unless you get an early enrollee and can take him back to September numbers that would have to be at 24 or below.

So, say you signed 25 kids in September enrollment. You have 23 kids graduating, finishing eligibility, transferring, retiring...

You lose a coach and 6 kids say "I am going to look elsewhere"...

You can replace the 23 kids leaving under normal conditions and only take two more to replace the 6 kids opting out and have 81 on schollie.

If you had only signed 23 to the September enrollment AND you can find two guys you want that CAN enroll early, then you end up with 83 on scholarship?

Lots of potential hardship for a program...trying to get out of a hardship or just losing a coach...

Unless scholarship numbers are allowed to be adjusted, then you can basically be put on probation because a coach moves on to another job.
JAB MR Member
Site Admin

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2018 12:41 am 

Agdad78 wrote:
How many would transfer out off 95% of the teams?

4-6?

The problem, however, is that the SEC won't allow you to sign more than 25 in a year, unless you get an early enrollee and can take him back to September numbers that would have to be at 24 or below.

So, say you signed 25 kids in September enrollment. You have 23 kids graduating, finishing eligibility, transferring, retiring...

You lose a coach and 6 kids say "I am going to look elsewhere"...

You can replace the 23 kids leaving under normal conditions and only take two more to replace the 6 kids opting out and have 81 on schollie.

If you had only signed 23 to the September enrollment AND you can find two guys you want that CAN enroll early, then you end up with 83 on scholarship?

Lots of potential hardship for a program...trying to get out of a hardship or just losing a coach...

Unless scholarship numbers are allowed to be adjusted, then you can basically be put on probation because a coach moves on to another job.

I'd bet that the SEC would modify their rules to allow a >25 to help out.

I still think that the worrying and hand wringing that is happening in this thread is without merit.
Agdad78 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2018 7:41 am 

So, Jab, you totally trust the ncaa? (To get whatever they do right?)

Think Shocked
78Bystander
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2018 7:52 am 

NCAA = No Confidence At All

Last edited by 78Bystander on 02 Feb 2018 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
MechAg94 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2018 9:33 am 

Agdad78 wrote:

Think Shocked

I don't. I also don't think it would be as bad some are worrying. Not all kids will want to transfer and teams will deal with it.

Have confidence! It work as well as all the other NCAA rules so that should let you breathe easy right?
Very Happy
Goodson MR Member
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2018 9:42 am 

My guess is this is already the case: but if not ... ensure that the transferring student , while sitting out, is immediately put on scholarship at his new school, with any per diem considerations that his fellow team members receive.

So he doesn't miss out on anything on that front.

In addition, the young man gets the benefit of getting back on schedule -- or moving ahead of schedule -- academically for his graduation.

There. Problem solved.

Cool
JAB MR Member
Site Admin

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2018 9:59 am 

Agdad78 wrote:

Think Shocked

Don't twist my words. I said the SEC will have a plan.

You guys completely crack me up. Before you even smelled this 99% of you would have said that every one of these kids is hear for the education, the network, the school, the traditions, the values. Today you are worried about a mass exodus because of a coach.

That DMN article has you guys so scared that you think everyone will leave in 5 years when Fisher is supposedly going to be given the boot. I bet half of you are worried that all 85 scholarship players are going to transfer to Austin.

Y'all should group together and start a recruiting service similar to Luicci. Instead of focusing on high school kids you can corner the market on college kids and recruiting. Maybe you can have a 6 point potato scoring system.

Start looking over this list: http://www.coacheshotseat.com/CoachesHotSeatRanking.htm

Make sure you review the rosters of the top 30 hot coaches teams, but don't forget the coaches that are at mid-majors and lower power 5 schools in the bottom 40 slots on the list. That guy from UAB is trending down, only makes 700K a year looks interesting? What about the guy from Appalachian State trending up another 700K. EIther of those guys could get an offer and their buyouts seem real low. Maybe Appalachian State has some good linebackers that would be interested if their coach leaves.

Because we can always use that Sr. transfer who might be a little better than our 3rd backup over a true freshman that is already bigger & stronger.

Now if you don't mind I thought I read in another thread where someone was saying that they may need help getting toothpaste back in the tube if they accidentally step on the tube next Tuesday.
12thManMVP
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2018 10:45 am 

You should see the sweaters they knit...... Very Happy

Ronnie '88
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AgTimes Boards Forum Index -> Aggie Football All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: