The time now is 18 Oct 2018 2:46 am
Probable Additions to Football Recruiting Staff

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agdad78 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2018 9:01 am 
Post subject: Probable Additions to Football Recruiting Staff
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

There have reportedly been two important hires by Jimbo for the recruiting support staff. I don't know that these have been become official just yet, but there is building smoke...

Austin Thomas, former LSU Football GM, is expected to hold a similar position at Texas A&M. Below is a little article on Austin:

Link to Article

Leah Wright has been rumored to be a new hire for the support staff for football recruiting. She spent some time working for Nick at bama and he was disappointed when she decided to move back to Colorado to be closer to her fiance. This is a story about her when leaving CSU Rams to head back to AL.

Quote:
FORT COLLINS Colorado State football director of recruiting operations Leah Knight has accepted the same position at the University of Alabama, she announced Thursday.

Knight, a native of Fayette, Alabama, and a University of Alabama graduate, served as CSU's assistant director of football operations the past two seasons before being promoted to director of recruiting operations this spring. Despite the recent promotion, Knight told InsideTheRams.com that the opportunity to be close to family and work at college football's premier program was just too good to pass up.

"Obviously it was a tough decision to leave because I truly believe Colorado State is a special place with great people," Knight said. "Coach Bobo is definitely taking the program in the right direction, but Alabama is home to me and it's just an incredible opportunity."

At CSU, Knight helped elevate CSU's recruiting efforts, improving the Rams from No. 128 in Scout's 2015 team recruiting rankings to No. 63 in 2016 and No. 65 this past season. The Rams have also finished with the second-ranked recruiting class in the Mountain West the past two seasons after finishing fifth in 2014 and dead last in 2015.

Prior to her time in Fort Collins, Knight served as the recruiting operations coordinator at South Florida, where she helped secure the No. 1 ranked 2014 recruiting class in the American Athletic Conference. As a student at Alabama, Knight worked as a recruiting intern, assisting the Crimson Tide in signing the consensus No. 1 class in 2013.

These two have been publicly bandied about as hires for a couple of weeks or longer. I don't believe there is anything secret about them at this point...whether they are on the payroll currently, shortly or never...
SA68AG MR Member
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2018 10:16 am 

Thanks ! Very interesting article.
12thManMVP
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2018 10:52 am 

Are you saying both are on staff w/us, or will be?

That would seem to make Leah a job hopper, and leaving Saban for a 2nd time. Think

Ronnie '88
Agdad78 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2018 12:04 pm 

Leah reportedly left bama because her fiance is in the athletic department at Colorado State. She wanted to get back closer to home and her fiance.

Reportedly she began missing what she did at Alabama and wanted to get back in it.

Now the why and how this may have happened is probably none of our business.

I am not sure they have been officially hired yet. With Austin, there were some buy-out provisions from lsu that had to expire. So until we hear something officially, who knows. But this has been on multiple sites and discussed by multiple outlets for a while now. I just never saw it on AgTimes.

I just checked this morning. I can find neither listed on the 12thman website. Nothing under football staff or under Athletic Director's staff.

But there is also no area I found that includes any football analysts.
BellCtyag85
All Conference

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2018 1:09 pm 

It is interesting. From another online article, Austin left LSU in December reportedly to take the same or similar spot with Tennessee and Jeremy Pruitt but the deal fell through. With the mutual admiration of Austin and Orgeron, makes you wonder if Austin saw changes coming, or possibly Pruitt offered something he couldn't or didn't want to back up? One would think a person as methodical and meticulous as Austin wouldn't have left a good situation before securing an equally good or better situation.

Another, more recent article reported he was close to sealing the same deal with Ole Miss. Maybe he's shopping to the highest bidder.
Cotton79 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2018 1:30 pm 
Post subject: Re: Probable Additions to Football Recruiting Staff

BellCtyag85 wrote:
It is interesting. From another online article, Austin left LSU in December reportedly to take the same or similar spot with Tennessee and Jeremy Pruitt but the deal fell through. With the mutual admiration of Austin and Orgeron, makes you wonder if Austin saw changes coming, or possibly Pruitt offered something he couldn't or didn't want to back up? One would think a person as methodical and meticulous as Austin wouldn't have left a good situation before securing an equally good or better situation.

Another, more recent article reported he was close to sealing the same deal with Ole Miss. Maybe he's shopping to the highest bidder.

Lots of "cypherin'" there, but it makes sense.
Agdad78 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2018 2:39 pm 

Could be the lsu buyout was problematic.

I think that has passed. Not sure, but May 31st may have been the important date on that...

If Jimbo sees value in Austin, and Austin is interested in career advancement potential (NFL GM in future)or money in the bank now, then who better than Jimbo and A&M?

Ole Miss and recruiting disparities...proven? TN and Pruitt, both of which are currently unproven on the football field.

Going against the former furniture salesman Carrington at tu must bring an out and out hullabaloo laugh from Austin. ssshhh...
BellCtyag85
All Conference

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2018 3:36 pm 

I agree. If Mr. Thomas and Ms. Knight bring some needed strengths to Jimbo's team, I'm all for it. The more time he can spend with players and his assistants, the better. The recruits certainly appreciate his time. Gig 'em
12thManMVP
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2018 1:49 pm 

Official now per 247.

Ronnie '88
Agdad78 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2018 3:32 pm 

Yes, both are in and working the recruiting weekend.

Huge bonding weekend in The Station this weekend.

Named "Aggie Elite Day", this is the greatest array of high school recruit talent I have seen at A&M in my memory.

There are a lot of committed kids and a lot of the 2019 and 2020 recruits in attendance...many with their families.

Expectations that we come out of this weekend with anywhere from 3-6 new verbals.
Cotton79 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2018 9:56 am 

^
|
|

David, I get a sense that this is like cowboys — ie, Jimbo and coaching staff — corralling their latest capture of loose & wandering cattle. Yet, once those prized cows are fully processed the same cowboys will head out to capture another passel of cattle, all to bring them into the same Aggie corral somewhere down the road.

That’s perhaps a romanticized version of what’s going on. Wink In truth, I think Jimbo Fisher has a good sense of knowing when to strike while the iron is hot, while the overall hum and tenor among recruits is at a feverish pitch about Aggieland. Cool Gig 'em

Thanks for the good words and the good vibe, AgDad! Big Grin
BellCtyag85
All Conference

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2018 11:04 am 
Post subject: Re: Probable Additions to Football Recruiting Staff

Agdad78 wrote:
Yes, both are in and working the recruiting weekend.

Huge bonding weekend in The Station this weekend.

Named "Aggie Elite Day", this is the greatest array of high school recruit talent I have seen at A&M in my memory.

There are a lot of committed kids and a lot of the 2019 and 2020 recruits in attendance...many with their families.

Expectations that we come out of this weekend with anywhere from 3-6 new verbals.

Just curious but is World Famous Terry Price BBQ part of Aggie Elite Day?
Cotton79 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2018 1:32 pm 

He, he... good chow always works wonders. Cool
Agdad78 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2018 8:52 am 

I heard nothing about the TP BBQ. I think that is a special meal for special times.

TP Catering is an expensive line item for the Athletic Department... Wink (But it does keep some butcher in bidness for another 6 months...)

Kinda like back with Mack at tu, they scheduled a game in Hawaii. By the time the game rolled around, June Jones was beating some good teams with his brand of offensive football.

Texas, the self-proclaimed richest athletic department in the NCAA, decided to cancel the game because of "the high cost of airfare". (I was reminded of this on another site the other day...busted out with giggles in a restaurant at lunch when I read it. It was okay, eating alone, as usual...)
Goodson MR Member
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2018 9:55 am 

Dad:

Didn't you know that someone "moved" Hawaii further west after that deal was signed ... creating the higher associated air travel costs?

Mack had no choice, I tell you. No choice but to bail.

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AgTimes Boards Forum Index -> Aggie Football All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: